College essay provides you with an opportunity to bring out the real yourself. A well carved out college essay can land you getting admission in your preferred college. It should be a total exhibition of your thinking and analyzing capabilities mixed with utmost richness in words. The college admission committee should be able to realize all your writing talents and intelligence through your college essay.
The Essay Writing Process
Just like you used to write your class essays, you have to follow the same rules here as well. But due to the fat that it is your college essay, maturity is an essential factor to look for. Follow the three step rule: Writing an initial rough draft, starting to write the real essay, perform editing in the end. If you keep on sticking with this procedure, you will be able to write your essay in more focused manner
The Initial Rough Draft
To start writing your college essay, you need to gather your research material from relevant sources. A methodical study of all the research material will hep you to formulate ideas of your own. Further you are about to write a college essay that intends to shower off your personality to the college selection committee, so it is better to start with yourself in the limelight.
• Do Brainstorming: You need to do an immense level of brainstorming to find out your positive points that could portray your image in a better perspective. Give yourself 15 minutes to write about all your achievements, accomplishment, your strengths and healthy aspects of your life. Try to maintain personality oriented notes about yourself rather than making an event based approach.
• Find out your Potential: If you think merely devoting 15 minutes to describe your personality traits are not enough, you can go further as well. Discuss with your parents, meet your friends, and seek the able guidance of your teachers on yourself. Hopefully, the valuable inputs from all your close people will help you a lot to write about yourself.
• Come out with a Self-Outline: To support each of your personality traits, try to list out few incidents. These incidents should have taken place at some or the other stage of your life. Don’t try to mislead the facts as they could diminish the effect of your college essay in the long run.
• Search out for the similar patterns: Check out if there is some common pattern in all your personality traits you have researched for. Try to keep all the similar incidents and ideas at one place. For example you prefer basketball to other sports for the reason that you like to play basketball more than any other sports or, you want to show your superiority through your basketball playing skills.
The Real Essay
After you have done enough analysis of yourself, it is finally the time to come out with the real stuff. Divide your essay into different sections. Introduction, Body, Conclusion
• The Introduction part explains your motive to write the college essay in brief. It reflects your ideas and thought process. With the inclusion of the theme statement, you give a settle indication to the reader about the crux of your essay.
• Body section describes the idea your put forward in the introduction. Try to base the content of your essay body with narrations and real incidents.
• To end up your essay, write the Conclusion part. It summarizes the entire idea of discussion. Putting your essay summary into few lines is indeed difficult, but at the same time, it is an important part to exhibit your writing skills